There are several things that could go wrong with your air conditioning. Central air units and modern HVAC systems have a lot of components working together and when one of them fails, it can lead to any manner of issues. Some issues that arise can be handled on your own, such as if you need to replace a slide-in air filter or reset the thermostat. However, if bigger issues are happening, it might be time to call for help.
Here’s what you need to know.
Things You Can Handle
If you want to take on as much as you can before you call the pros, it’s a noble effort. However, if you’re not a handy person, that might not be the best idea. For those who can handle basic home issues and maintenance, here are some things you can do before you call in a professional air conditioning service company.
- Checking breakers and other connections
- Testing/checking the thermostat
- Changing or cleaning filters
- Melting ice or removing condensation
- Examining/cleaning ducts and vents
- Cleaning the AC unit itself (carefully, so as not to break any components)
If any of these things seem too daunting, or if you start and decide that you don’t feel safe or capable of finishing, stop immediately and call a professional HVAC or air conditioning service company for help right away.
When to (Definitely) Call the Professionals
There are several instances where it is going to be a much better idea to call and get professional air conditioner service. For example, if you notice that warm air (or no air) is coming out of the vents, and the thermostat appears to be fine, you’re going to need someone to come inspect where the issue is so that it can be resolved.
Other times you’ll want to rely on the experts include:
- If there’s a strange smell coming from the AC unit or the vents
- If the system doesn’t come on at all
- If there are loud or strange noises, such as buzzing, rattling, grinding, or clicking
- If it kicks on and off all the time
- If it trips the breaker constantly
- If the utility bills are getting too high
If you have a serious problem, you’ll want to call for emergency AC repair and get the issue resolved as soon as possible. Some examples include:
- Electrical issues (tripping breakers, lights flickering, etc.)
- Burning smells or other odors
- Extremely hot days when you have young children or pets (90 degrees plus)
- Screeching and clunking sounds
When In Doubt, Ask the Experts
And of course, when you’re not sure whether you need professional air conditioning service and repair, you can always call and find out. You should ask about maintenance plans that are available, too, because those can help reduce your repair and service costs over time. If your air conditioning isn’t working like it should, make sure that you get it resolved as quickly as possible. That way, your home is comfortable and your system won’t experience additional damage by being left in disrepair.
SCHEDULE YOUR FREE ESTIMATE
We Provide Expert Air Conditioning Services in Las Vegas, NV